Emily joined Burges Salmon in 2005 and qualified into the Commercial Disputes and Construction department in 2007. She specialises in the following practice areas:
- Intellectual Property disputes
- Professional negligence and fraud
- General commercial disputes
As a member of the Intellectual Property Team, Emily's work focuses on providing clients from a wide range of industries with practical, commercial advice on the exploitation, protection and enforcement of their intellectual property rights. Emily is a member of the Institute of Trade Mark Attorneys and a participant at the International Trademark Association annual conference. She is a regular contributor to external briefings and legal journals and the co-author of the World Trademark Review’s publication “Anti-counterfeiting 2012 – A Global Guide” for the UK. Her expertise includes: brand protection - trade mark infringement / oppositions, passing off, copyright infringement; domain name disputes; company name disputes; design right and patent infringement advice.
Emily also has substantial experience in advising financial institutions on professional negligence and fraud claims arising from both commercial and residential lending.
Recent examples of her work include:
- advising Harrods on international brand protection issues including trade mark infringement, passing off, counterfeiting issues, domain name recovery proceedings and company name disputes. Emily has represented Harrods in a number of successful ICANN complaints
- acting for numerous other high profile clients including Virgin, The Carbon Trust and CMC Markets in trade mark infringement, passing off, company name and international domain name disputes
- advising US brand 5-Hour Energy in a sizeable, contentious passing off action in the UK and related trade mark opposition
- advising Oase (Outwell) one of the market leaders in the European camping and outdoor goods markets on design right, patent infringement claims, trade mark infringement and passing off
- representing several leading UK financial institutions in multiple professional negligence and fraud claims.