Matthew joined Burges Salmon in 2004 from Collyer-Bristow in London. He is a Partner in the Commercial Department and specialises in the following areas:
- Commercial Contracts
Matthew specialises in major PPP and PFI projects across a number of different sectors, including emergency services, defence and education. In particular, Matthew has significant experience of advising on shared services projects and strategic partnership/joint venture arrangements for both public and private sector clients.
Recent examples of work include:
- advising Babcock International Group plc on a major strategic joint venture that will deliver education services to more than 360 schools in partnership with Devon County Council (estimated value £125 million)
- advising the Ministry of Defence and the Department of Transport on their proposed 30 year Search and Rescue Helicopter PFI for the UK and Falkland Islands (estimated value £6 billion)
- advising Avon and Somerset Police Authority in its joint (with Somerset County Council and Taunton Deane Borough Council) procurement of a private sector partner to deliver middle and back-office functions via an innovative shared services partnering structure, which includes the fully operational joint venture company known as South West One Limited (estimated value £500 million)
- advising Selex Sensors and Airborne Systems Limited in the outsourcing of its HR services (full suite of HR services including payroll, international assignments, remuneration and benefits etc.) to Xchanging HR Services Limited
- advising Avon & Somerset Police Authority acting on behalf of 13 other police authorities, in its path-finding collaborative procurement of forensic science services (estimated value of £200 million)
- advising Northern Rail Limited on the award of a contract to ISS Facility Management Service for a range of facilities management services for a property estate covering 471 sites including passenger stations, maintenance depots and operations centres.