Qualifications: LLB (Hons) Law and European Languages
Admitted a solicitor 2000
Partner from 2013
Tel: +44 (0) 117 307 6998
Nick is an energy projects lawyer. He advises funders, developers, local authorities, energy users and generators on a range of projects, contractual arrangements and regulatory issues in the energy sector, with a particular focus on Resource & Waste management, Renewables and other Environmental Projects.
Nick joined Burges Salmon in 2007 having worked previously in the waste PFI team and project finance unit at Bevan Brittan and Lovells respectively. He is ranked in Chambers as a leading individual in the renewables space.
Nick's specialisms include:
- Waste PFI/PPP projects
- Biomass, Anaerobic Digestion and Waste to Energy projects including advanced thermal treatment technologies
- Waste supply agreements, fuel and feedstock supply agreements
- Waste export and Waste regulatory advice including Transfrontier shipment
- Energy regulatory advice including energy licensing and Electricity Market Reform
- Renewables regulatory advice: Renewables Obligation, Renewable Heat Incentive, Feed-in Tariff and Climate Change Levy
- Offtake agreements including power purchase agreements, emissions trading, direct PPA structures, heat supply agreements and digestate management
- Energy trading and commercial energy supply agreements
Some highlights of his work include advising:
- Marks and Spencer plc on its innovative, award winning direct PPA model which has been rolled out on over 20 renewable energy projects in Scotland and England
- local authorities, contractors and funders on over 20 waste recycling, waste treatment and waste to energy PPP and PFIs (including Gwynedd Food Waste AD, Scottish Borders PPP, Exeter City EfW PPP, West Berkshire integrated Waste PFI, Greater Manchester PFI, Cornwall PFI, Wakefield PFI and Wrexham PFI) under open, negotiated and competitive dialogue procedures
- major retailers and industrials on their energy supply arrangements
- New Earth Solutions on the energy import, export, private wire and regulatory aspects of the financing and build out of its 13 MW gasification facility at Avonmouth
- Wessex Water/GENeco on its merchant AD facility bid for Cardiff Council's organic food waste PPP
- Helius Energy plc on its biomass energy projects
- Estover Energy on its development of a portfolio of dedicated biomass CHP facilities in England and Scotland providing renewable energy to co-located industrial customers and grid
- bidders participating in DECC's UK carbon capture and storage competitions.
Nick is an associate member of the REA, ADBA and CIWM and speaks at waste and renewable sector conferences. He sits on DECC's working group looking at the impact of the FiT CfD on commercial power purchase agreements and is a member of ADBA's legal forum.