Leisure and Recreation
Our Leisure group advises a broad range of clients on the acquisition and disposal of businesses and properties in the leisure and recreation sector. In addition to our Corporate and Real Estate expertise we also advise leisure and recreation clients on Licensing, Gambling, redevelopment strategy, Tax, compliance, Health and Safety, Employment, Regulatory and Environmental work. Key clients in the sector include Kew Gardens, the Racecourse Association and Abode Hotels.
Our experience covers the following sectors:
- Hotels – we act for a number of major hotel operators, advising on a full range of issues from acquisitions and disposals to employment, health and safety and regulatory. We are particularly experienced in the acquisition of hotels, ranging from city centre boutiques to prestige hotels, such as Gidleigh Park.
- Restaurants, pubs and clubs – we act for the 'Lounge' bar group, several independent restaurants and pubs and have recently advised Zest, a 2,000 capacity nightclub in relation to the review of its premises licence and subsequent appeal.
- Garden centres – we advise a number of garden centres, including Garden and Leisure Group, on their property, planning, corporate and commercial and Licensing requirements and have an extensive understanding of the complexities of owning and operating garden centres.
- Visitor attractions – we currently advise a number of the UK's leading visitor attractions, including the Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew, the Royal Armouries, Windsor Castle and the Royal Parks. The team is also proud to be the advisors for the redevelopment of the Grand Pier in Weston-super-Mare, following its destruction by fire in 2008.
- Sports Stadia and Racecourses – we advise a number of major sports stadia on a wide variety of legal topics, ranging from property advice and corporate matters to Licensing and Gambling advisory work and providing legal advice for major outdoor music events. Our clients include Bristol City Football Club, Bath Rugby and Newbury Racecourse.
- Marinas – we are advising a consortium of investors on their proposed redevelopment of the marina at Noss on Dart, Devon to include a potential hotel and improved marina facilities. We are also advising Weymouth & Portland Borough Council on proposals to develop the Ferry Terminal area at Weymouth; these proposals include a new marina at the end of the pier.
- Museums – we have recently advised National Maritime Museum on unlocking a piece of land for its new Sammy Ofer Way. Successful completion involved co-operation of DCMS, English Heritage, Royal Parks and the Charities Commission.
- Caravan, camping and holiday parks – we currently act for many clients in the sector, from park investors to caravan manufacturers. We recently acted for Darwin Property Investment Management on its acquisition of a portfolio of three parks in North Wales.
To find out more about how we can help you please contact us.
All Partners and Associates in Leisure and Recreation